[OM] Re: Why E1 over others?

Subject: [OM] Re: Why E1 over others?
From: W Shumaker <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 09:10:06 -0500
Gary's sentiments exactly match mine. I have used a N*kon film
camera with VR lens and was impressed. I believe Olympus makes
their profit on consumer grade cameras, not pro cameras, which
makes it even more unlikely they will license the IS/VR technology.
C*non just seems to keep moving ahead of the competition. I wonder
if N;kon can even keep up. Ergonomically Olympus does really well,
which lures me toward the E-system, including great optics. I can
work without autofocus as a lot of my photography requires manual
selection of focus. But IS is a technology I don't want to miss. What good
is a 300mm (600 equivalent) lens if you have to bolt it down? Might
as well use a telescope. Any serious nature photographer using
telephoto lenses these days cannot ignore image stabilization.
Heck, any available light photography can't ignore it.

For Olympus to provide IS it would likely to come from a new
body, rather than new lenses. Without any hope for such a feature,
I can't justify buying into a system that is already behind the times,
even though I would love to stay with Olympus. The C5050 has proven
a very nice camera ergonomically, but anything above iso 64 really
shows the noise. The sensor is just too small. It seems the pro-level
choice is down to either C*non or C$non, or possibly C@non.
If you are a pro photographer, can you afford to wait for Olympus
to catch up? Olympus, who seem determined to go their own
way, may only be for the advanced amateur who can afford to
wait or can afford to spend money. I'm the amateur category, so I can
do as I like, which at the moment is to play with my OM system
and "bridge" digital cameras.

Wayne - with sour grapes toward aloof Olympus