[OM] Re: Why E1 over others?

Subject: [OM] Re: Why E1 over others?
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 07:06:59 -0800 (PST)
> Would she consider one of the top prosumers? They are sized
> much better
> for small hands than the SLRs. Just handled an A2, really
> small and
> light, almost small for my hands. Unfortunately no battery, so
> couldn't try out the new super resolution EVF.

I highly recommend the BP400 grip/holder.  It totally alters the
camera's handling.  With the BP400, it feels as good as any
DSLR.  Except for the vertical-grip being too wide.  I keep it
on all the time--except when going out for a walk and I want to
keep things small and lightweight.  But without the holder, half
of my right hand has no place to hold onto.

The EVF of the A1 is rather raunchy as compared to my OM-2S with
2-4 screen.  However, I've learned not worry about it.  The
autofocus is very accurate (and quite fast), and the increased
DOF covers for any mistakes anyway.  For tripod work, I switch
to manual focus, hit the 8x magnifier and tweak to my heart's
pleasure.  Of my >3000 pictuers so far, 2/3 of them were taken
using the monitor instead of the EVF.  And the monitor is quite
acceptable.

Speaking of autofocus.  I've finally figured out how to properly
use the "flexpoint".  The manual shortchanged this feature.  The
key is to use single-autofocus.  Normally, the autofocus will
select the closest point within the "zone".  However, I'm
finding that it picks points that I'm not wanting it to.  Just
press and hold the center button on the 4-way controller for a
second and it changes to a small plus.  You can move this point
around ANYWHERE in the viewfinder (take that Canon), or leave it
in the center.  To switch back to "normal" just press and hold
the button for a second again. I'm using the normal mode for
anything involving action.  Flexpoint when I can focuslock and
then recompose the picture. For portraiture, it's pretty slick
since I can move the point to where I want the person's eye (to
be focused on).  Just kinda leave it there and use the marker to
aid you in framing the picture.

One point of irratation about the A1/A2.  The camera around your
thumb area gets warm.  In fact, when not using the BP400, the
battery ends up soaking up a lot of heat.  In the BP400 the
battery stays nice and cool.  This normally isn't an issue
unless you've got the camera on for an hour of continious
runtime.  (battery life is not an issue with this camera)

Now, back to OM content.  I've got my OM-2S "go kit" with me
today. 24/2.8, 35/2.8, 50/3.5, 100/2.8 and 200/4.  Oh, and a
filter stack.  Winder, Polaris meter and Velvia 100.  Rounding
out the bag is the A1 with BP400, two batteries and a 1GB card
inside.  All this fits in my small and lightweight 10 year old
LowePRO Elite III bag.

THAT folks is why I like the OM system and the A1.  Compact,
lightweight, yet complete.  I've still got plenty of room for a
"Dagwood Sandwich" in the front compartment.