[OM] Dead Pets And Gelatin

Subject: [OM] Dead Pets And Gelatin
From: Philippe Le Zuikomane <zuikomane@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 09:45:41 -0600
Dear Learned Listers,

I ran into a horrific piece by a journalist I used to be in touch with
-- he's a serious guy -- and looked up a few things based on his
report. Here it is:

"LA Stories: A cat becomes a cow as the US sets its pets alight - but
not its cigarettes"

<http://news.independent.co.uk/world/americas/story.jsp?story=505766>

It's downright awful. The idea that dead pets could be used by
rendering plants -- the source of the animal gelatin used for most
emulsions -- strikes me as supremely disgusting. The news that
administration officials are covering up this amoral dead pet trade
and its inputs into our everyday products is particularly revolting.

Phil

===
(The fledgling Zuikomaniac formerly known as Humbert Humbert)
===