[OM] To IS or not IS...

Subject: [OM] To IS or not IS...
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 22:43:06 -0800
That IS the question...whether 'tis nobler...er, uh... to hand-hold
w/o IS or pay the premium of IS for those that feel they really need
it.

Okay, I have probably as much or more experience with IS as anyone here.

Here are my two cents....it's really useful for being able to
handhold at very low shutter speeds in low light. As for IS for
moving objects, I remain unconvinced. Most pros that I know that have
it on lenses turn it off. There is a going belief that C*n*n non-IS
lenses are sharper than IS lenses. Perhaps it is best suited for
really big, heavy lenses like a Canon 300 or 400/2.8, but personally,
I wouldn't spend the extra cash for it if a non-IS equivalent were
available for the kind of stuff I mostly do.

-Stephen.
--

2001 CBR600F4i - Fantastic!