[OM] Re: The Perfect Tripod?

Subject: [OM] Re: The Perfect Tripod?
From: The Butler Family <butlerfamly@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 19:54:17 -0800
AG Schnozz wrote:
> For ages, I've been telling you all about my highly modified
> tripod.  Well, I've just posted a write-up on it with lots of
> pictures on my website.
>
> www.iowatelecom.net/~image66
>
> Enjoy.
>
> AG-Schnozz

Ken,

Nice solution to the tripod question.  As a Design Engineer, I am always
amazed when I cannot find a tool, fixture or whatever that will do just
what I want.  Doesn't everyone want what I want?  What wrong with
everyone else <grin>.

I spend much of my day either modifying and existing tool or designing
one from scratch, so I can appreciate your Father's "Norton ingenuity".
  Much of what I do today, that is considered by other's to be
"cleaver", I probably learned from a "Real" Toolmaker <deep bow of
gratitude>.

Anyway, from the pictures you posted, the "composite" material you
scrounged up looks like a Linen Phenolic or from the McMaster catalog
"Garolite".  For your application it is (other than cost) much better
than Aluminum.  You might even be able to whittle up a piece with a
knife to make a slip on shoulder pad for the Shoulder Stock option.  I'm
am going to look into that for my tripod now that I mention it.

Mike Butler
Dublin, California

P.S.  Nice "look" for your site, very clean and loads quick enough for
my dial up connection.