[OM] Re: Processor advice for handling OM images

Subject: [OM] Re: Processor advice for handling OM images
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2004 07:13:54 +0100
Gary

I agree with Tom Scales.  I am sure that a DP G5 would help a great
deal, but you can probably buy DP G4s which are just as fast, for less
than half the price.  Failing that, if you must stick with a Windoze
machine, I should have thought that another 500Mb of SDRAM would help.

By the way, I scan (with Vuescan) at 5400ppi and output TIFF files to
disk at 4000/48bit.  Then I reduce to 24bit and .jp2 on my first
editing session.

If you can get the daft interface to work you're doing well old chap.
I cannot make out the default profile business in the Minolta software.
  Vuescan gives you the option to work on files while the next ones are
being scanned.

Chris

On 4 Apr 2004, at 02:43, Gary Edwards wrote:

> I am processing a lot of my OM-shot images for potential commercial
> use.  48 Mb files are required.  My new Minolta DiMAGE Scan Elite 5400
> at max resolution is producing files of around 210 Mb, which gives me
> plenty of headroom for cropping.  I'm doing most of the work on those
> files before downsampling to the required size. . .  and my Athlon
> XP1700 XP Pro box is choking.  I've got a gig of SDRAM but most every
> operation in PS 7 is taking too long for me to tolerate. I've already
> got two hard drives to satisfy PS scratch file needs and according to
> the Windows Task Manager Performance graph, the problem is long
> periods of pegged 100% CPU utilization.
>
> The best answer is probably a twin processor Mac G5 but at about 4500
> USD that isn't an option; at least not until I sell a LOT of those
> images. Probably a new motherboard, an Athlon 3000 or so, and a gig of
> DDR RAM.  Any thoughts or recommendations?
>
> By the way, I am very pleased with the performance of the Minolta
> scanner.  This is going to keep me film-based a while longer.  You can
> read some of the stickers on the pilot's helmets. . .  As always with
> Japanese software, the user interface stinks, but I'm learning to find
> things and it does seem to work better than VueScan.
>
> Gary

> To contact the list admins:
> mailto:olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx?subject="Olympus List Problem"

<|_:-)_|>