[OM] Re: Processor advice for handling OM images

Subject: [OM] Re: Processor advice for handling OM images
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2004 13:00:03 -0700
I've 1.50 GB DDR RAM with an Athlon XP1900+ and have had no problems
working in PS v6 with the largest RAW TIFF files my SS4000 can produce
since switching over a couple of years ago. I've no knowledge of how PS v.7
behaves, though. In general PS has always been a memory hog. I'd guess
photographers put up with it because its raw power and third-party support,
though for many applications Paint Shop Pro is just as good and loads
easier (and faster) to use. Anyway, it could well be that PS 7 is worse
still than v6 with re to memory-management issues.

A general rule for upgrading computer performance for these sorts of tasks
is to place more RAM onboard (if MB will take it) and the fastest possible
at that.

Anyone care to comment on how PS CS (v8) behaves compared to the earlier
versions?

Tris