[OM] Re: Why Film instead of Digital

Subject: [OM] Re: Why Film instead of Digital
From: "Richard F. Man" <richard-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2004 18:17:23 -0700
I can assure you that with my Nikon 4000 scanner, and the films I typically
use (all Fuji slides - Astia 100F, Provia 100F and Provia 400F, I tried and
can't stand Velvia 100F) that I can make decent 11x14 easily. Now whether
they are good photos or not is entirely a separate question :-) The biggest
print I have made is 13x19. Looks just fine w/o any scaling up. No grain
even if you are right on top of it:
http://www.dragonsgate.net/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1763&password=&sort=1&cat=3004&page=1

As I said before, my current workflow is that I shoot slides and process
them myself. With the Jobo processor, it really isn't much of a problem.
The I bulk scan them in at around 2000 dpi resolution. With minor cropping
and leveling and some resizing actions, if they are any good, they are
ready for the web. For ones I want to make prints, I rescan them at 4000
dpi and the correct film profile and the color is very true to the slides.

The whole process is not a lot slower than digital, and I get an easy
permanent storage solution for the original data.

use richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx)