[OM] Re: More on 35~105 variable aperture...

Subject: [OM] Re: More on 35~105 variable aperture...
From: "Wilcox, Joel F" <joel-wilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 11:05:28 -0500
Interesting.  The 35-105/3.5-4.5 used to be my standard tripod lens for
landscape work until I got the 35-80/2.8.  I used the 35-80/2.8 about
90% of the time on my recent trip.  I'm thinking of going back to the
35-105 for some things that I find lacking in the 35-80:  the limitation
on "reach" at 80mm and the lack of a DOF scale.

As it turns out the 35-80 is really superb when working on handheld
stuff because of its brightness and on those occasions where I might
want shallow DOF.  But I have found myself using f16 a lot and fudging
the focus to the 10m setting to maximize DOF (a guess really ... I carry
a printed DOF table, but only use it at 80m and then ultimately just use
tripod, f16, and prayer).

The 35-80 is such a pleasure to use because it is sufficiently bright
even with a polarizer, but it's nice to have other choices too.

Joel W.