[OM] Re: More on 35~105 variable aperture...Now, hyperfocal explanation

Subject: [OM] Re: More on 35~105 variable aperture...Now, hyperfocal explanation
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 12:59:30 EDT
In a message dated 4/5/2004 11:05:54 AM Central Standard Time,
joel-wilcox@xxxxxxxxx writes:

the limitation
on "reach" at 80mm and the lack of a DOF scale.

Sounds like two good reasons to use the 35-105mm when doing landscapes.  That
is the lens I often use and have produce some wonderful images, taking
advantage of the DOF scale, f 22 or another small aperture, a tripod and
hyperfocal
distance.

For any who are unfamiliar with hyperfocal distance, it is a technique for
focusing which allows the maximum depth of field in your photograph.  The short
version of the explanation of the technique is that you place the infinity
mark on your lens just inside the right hand DOF scale mark for the aperture
you
are using and then the left hand DOF mark for that aperture will indicated the
closest distance which will be in focus.

What you haven't done was to focus on infinity.  You have placed infinity
where it will be in focus and maximized your depth of field.  In practice, lets
say you have composed the photograph, know you want maximum DOF.  You would not
need to focus (although you could).  Simply set your aperture at f 22 (on the
35-105mm), place the infinity mark just inside the righthand side f 22 stop
mark on the DOF scale and fire away. No, I don't always use f 22 and will tend
to use the largest aperture which will provide me with the DOF I desire. Yes,
I would check DOF with my preview button if there was enough light, however
I'm often using this technique in low light situations and checking DOF isn't
going to work.

For all you old dogs who already know and use this technique, you can tell us
how to build the watch.  For those who weren't familiar with it, give it a
try.  It may expand your experience of producing images with your OM.  Bill
Barber