[OM] Re: Tamron SP 17mm f3.5

Subject: [OM] Re: Tamron SP 17mm f3.5
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2004 16:58:50 +0000
Last week, I got a polarizer stuck in mine.  Normally, when screwing in a
filter, I don't go all the way.  (All you double entendre folks can have a ball
with that, I'm sure.)  Leaving the filter loose, threaded in only a turn or a
turn and a half, makes it easier to get back out.  But the polarizer was in use
for some time, and as a result of rotating the outer ring hither and thither,
the inner one got tightened up.  Because there's no good purchase to be had on
any filter in this hood, much less the back ring of a polarizer, I couldn't get
the thing out.  The big rubber stopper solution wouldn't work, because that
would turn only the front half.  The warm stove eye method was no help because
there was still no way to get a good grip the stuck back ring.

After much cussing and carrying on, I got pissed enough to use a mini
screwdriver on the edge of the back part to get it started.  Buggered it up a
bit, but it worked.  The filter ring's not as pretty as it once was, but it's
not a big deal.  A bit of Testors black enamel will cover the blemish.

After cooling off and calming down a bit, it dawned on me that the rubber
stopper solution would probably work if the hood were removed and the stopper
applied from the back side.  What the hell.  I'll try that next time.

This hood is a bit of a PITA, but I really like this lens.

Walt

--SNIP--
> Be aware that it's very hard to mount an 82mm filter inside the hood.  The
> lens
> itself doesn't have any filter threads, so the filter must thread into the
> hood
> down inside.  I've had a devil of a time getting my filter to screw in
> because
> there isn't enough clearance to get your fingers around the filter inside the
> hood and turn it.  Does anyone have hints?
--SNIP--