[OM] Re: 35-70 magic shade

Subject: [OM] Re: 35-70 magic shade
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 10:42:53 +1000
The shade attaches to the outer barrel of the lens, not the front
lens assembly. As the lens zooms and because (counterintuitively) it
is at the 35mm setting when fully extended, less of the the front
element is shaded by the hood at the short end because the front
assembly moves forward inside the hood. When you zoom 'back' to 70mm,
the lens retreats into the hood giving a deeper shade effect.
It will not work on the other 35-70 zooms at all. It won't fit (too
big). The f4 is not much smaller but the whole body moves forward
when zooming, not just the inner section.
Of course, if you need real proof, I'm in a position to sell you both
these lenses at present, with hoods... :-)
AndrewF

--
http://www.pbase.com/afildes