[OM] Re: Digital or no Digital?

Subject: [OM] Re: Digital or no Digital?
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 09:24:03 -0300
> Bob Benson
>
> PS:  I personally believe digital is a passing fad .... to be balanced
> with film.  Sort of
> like digital vs. analog music ......  then again,  denial is a big part of
> age .....

I see this comparison come up quite often. There may be some aspects of
comparison, but music and photography actually have very little in common,
in that most people I know only listen to analog or digitally recorded
music, whereas most people into photography are actually making the photos.
This is such a huge difference that it almost nullifies any comparison for
this list, in my mind. There is not much of an adjustment in technology for
me to go from listening to analog to digitally recorded music, but a huge
adjustment to go from film to digital photography.

My C5050 produces really nice images, just as nice as any film camera I own
if you want prints. But it is just such an aggravation to use in comparison
to a 35RC, or an OM1n or Om2s. For the uninitiated, just try composing
through the miserable viewfinder of a C5050, or on the screen on a bright
sunny day. The issue for me is not film versus digital, as much as it is
using a film camera versus using a digital camera. An illustration might be
like shooting a gun to hit a target. Just because a gun can accurately hit
the target does not necessarily mean it is fun to use, or is a good tool to
take hunting. And just because a camera can produce excellent images does
not mean it is fun to use.

This list was originally about Olympus film cameras, chiefly OM's.  It has
changed, and that is just an inevitable product of the onslaught of digital.
The readership will inevitably change with it according to the interests of
the individuals. Some will leave if digital talk is banned, simply for lack
of anything new and interesting. Some will leave if the present amount of
digital is allowed. I'd say some already have quietly left. There is not
anything that can be done about that IMO, so I'd say just let it go.
Wayne