[OM] A tiny bit of list history and where we go from here.

Subject: [OM] A tiny bit of list history and where we go from here.
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 11:22:38 -0700 (PDT)
This list started out as the "OM" or Olympus list, dealing with
things OM.  Well, we must understand the history of the early
days (of which I missed the very very earliest of days).

There were a couple hundred of us that knew little bits and
pieces about the OM system and this list became a community of
information exchange which we all learned from each other and
filled in the knowledge gaps.  The FAQ was built, ESIF got off
the ground and Michael eventually discovered that Nikon's HP
viewfinder was much better for him in astrophotography.

I would suggest that about the time Mr. Covington left the list,
we had pretty well exhausted the technical aspects of
information sharing that initially built the list.

At some point, even though it always existed in some form or
another, this list became a "community".  It was no longer a
"geek hangout".  Like in any community, the discussions vary to
the interests of the members at the time.  This keeps the list
"current" and "relevant".

I'm not one to frequent a lot of lists.  In fact, except for
Ilford's forum, and lately the Minolta forum, I'm pretty much a
homebody and just hang out here.  Sure, an occasional appearance
in a lame list here or there, but nothing lasting.  This is a
list of like minded friends.  I can be myself and express
whatever remotely that which relates to photography.

My interest in the OM system extends to it being a very fine
tool, well engineered, and a means to an end.  The OM system is
not the end in itself.  I'm sure there are a few collectors and
equipment geeks on the list, but I'm not one of them.  If you
look again at the picture of my OM-2S, you'll see that it isn't
a closet queen. That puppy has seen serious use.

I will admit that I'm a primary contributor to non-OM chatter on
this list.  Frankly, I write about whatever interests me and try
to pose it in photographic or Olympus terms whenever possible.
If I can't do that here, I'll probably find another outlet, but
what about the many friendships that have been built over the
years?

The OM list is unique among the thousands on the Internet,
because of the diversity of subject matter and the breadth and
depth of those very subjects.  Every day, I feel like I've been
to school and learned something new.

If you are looking for a purely technical list, this isn't it.
It was, for maybe a year, but that changed due to two factors:
No new products from Olympus, and the recognition that the OM
system attracted very unique personalities.

The OM system is dead.  There are rarely any new discoveries or
facts to be revealed about the OM system.  From a technical
aspect, almost every question is a rehash of either the FAQ or
something already discussed 128 times.  Screw heads, anyone?
Talk about obscure, but discussed.

The world is migrating towards Digital imaging. The OM system is
dead, our bellies are getting rounder and heads more vacant of
hair.  Either the list adapts or it dies.

There are four sure things in life:
1. Death
2. Taxes
3. Michael Jackson getting weirder
4. Olympus will never build another OM mount camera.

There is a profile of the "average" OM user:
1. Prefer Functionality over Functions (sounds like an article)
2. Like sports cars, such as RX-7s, Lotus's, Triumphs, MGB's.
3. Real job is something other than photography
4. Either owns an SUV or secretly desires one (ahem)
5. Dislikes both Bush and Kerry (double ahem)
6. Has or wants a Leica Rangefinder camera.
7. Has a real life.

I don't have time or the desire to hang out in 35 lists. The OM
list is great because I don't have to.  I can get printer
factoids, digital camera factoids (That new black Rebel looks
nice), OM factoids, even travel ideas right here.  And nobody
has ever told me to shut up (this week at least).

I do, however, purge or ignore vast amounts of posts.  Life is
to short to watch commercials.

Is the list off-topic 99% of the time?  As compared to the
original life of the list, yes.  But, the list has adapted to
the changing times.  it won't last forever.  In fact, this
latest outage probably has done incredible harm to the list, but
compared to the Oben episode (if you don't know, don't bother
asking), it was a mild tremor.

I think the fair way to describe this list is:  A gathering of
Olympus OM system owners or enthusiasts meeting via the Internet
sharing ideas, frustrations, helpful tips, and anything else
that interests us that we think might interest others.

Otherwise, read the bloody FAQ.

AG-Schnozz