[OM] Re: Arbus

Subject: [OM] Re: Arbus
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 08:22:26 +1000
>I don't really feel qualified to do that. Actually there were a few
>that I kind of liked. Seeing the whole exhibit, it seemed to me that
>she was hostile to her subjects and exploited them. Her way of doing
>that seemed to suck the humanity right out of them. Most of them were
>defenseless against her and her camera. The few that I liked were the
>ones where the subject seemed to reveal something about themselves when
>caught unawares. I would not want disagree with people who say she is
>one of the great photographers. I would just keep that opinion to
>myself. Just don't like the stuff.
>Winsor
>Long Beach, California
>USA
>On Apr 9, 2004, at 12:30 AM, Richard F. Man wrote:

A criticism I've heard before and never accepted - I always saw a
deep sympathy for the human condition and a personal despair - the
despair that killed her. That kid in the straw hat and the badges at
the pro-Vietnam demonstration for instance. I always felt that she
was asking me - "How could we let him come to this?" and by extension
query ourselves about every young person displaying an enthusiasm for
a position beyond his/her capacity to understand fully.
For me a good photograph or artwork or literary work is one that
discomforts the viewer/reader in some way. I don't 'like' the stuff
either but it is scary wonderful.
AndrewF
--
http://www.pbase.com/afildes