[OM] Metal hoods and the miJ

Subject: [OM] Metal hoods and the miJ
From: Earl R Dunbar <edunbar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 20:30:44 -0400
Zuiks:

I have been on a metal 50/1.8/1.4 35/2.8 metal hood buying spree... if you
call buying two in the last coupla weeks a spree.  I have 3 or 4 50s and a
coupla 35s so I wanted equip as many as possible with the metal hoods.  Aside
from the fact that I generally don't LIKE rubber hoods, I like the fact that
these store reversed on the lens when not in use.

So today, upon receiving one of the hoods, I tried to place it in storage
position on an miJ.  Doesn't fit!  The problem is that the inside diameter is
just not wide enough for the miJ even though it fits perfectly on a 1.8 MC, a
1.4 and on a 35/2.8.  My first impression is that the rubber grip on the miJ
is actually a bit thicker, but maybe the barrel is actually bigger.  I'm too
lazy to measure and to look at the eSIF.  Is this a well-known fact, or do I
have an odd miJ, odd hoods or what?  Was that metal hood ever modified?

I plan to give my daughter an OM-2 and 50mm (with metal hood) for her 14th
birthday this month.  She's expressed an interest in photography, and I want
her to OM-portunity to learn on a "real" camera, not a digi-brick.  If I keep
the miJ, I'll have to use a rubber hood.   :-(

Earl