[OM] Re: A tiny bit of list history and where we go from here.

Subject: [OM] Re: A tiny bit of list history and where we go from here.
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 21:51:04 -0700
agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

>The OM list is unique among the thousands on the Internet,
>because of the diversity of subject matter and the breadth and
>depth of those very subjects.  Every day, I feel like I've been
>to school and learned something new.

Amen, brother

>There is a profile of the "average" OM user:
>1. Prefer Functionality over Functions (sounds like an article)

Yup

>2. Like sports cars, such as RX-7s, Lotus's, Triumphs, MGB's.

Nope. The convertible part, yes. The noisy, rough riding, can't take my
friends for a ride, no trunk (and, in the case of at least the last 2
you mention, no reliability) parts? Nope! V6, DOHC, 210 hp, 24 valves,
seats 4 adults, 5 in a pinch, room to waggle my elbows, a real trunk
lots of grocery bags will sit upright in and luggage for a real trip
will fit in? Yes! I had a classic 1971 911 for years. Fast and reliable,
but cramped and noisy. That was then..........

>3. Real job is something other than photography

Real job????

>4. Either owns an SUV or secretly desires one (ahem)

Nope, at least 'til they make a convertible one.

>5. Dislikes both Bush and Kerry (double ahem)

Who? Ain't touchin' this one!

>6. Has or wants a Leica Rangefinder camera.

Nope. Never had and don't want. I put up with that aspect of the XA for
its other special qualities. Otherwise, no rangefinders, nohow.

>7. Has a real life.

I'm not so sure what that 'real' part means, but I am enjoying it - a lot.

So that's 1 Yup, 3 Nopes and avoidance. Counting #7 as a Yup, I still
come up short of even. Guess I have to restate #4 to "Doesn't make money
doing photography.", then I can at least come up even. Is even like an
'F', and I have to leave, or like a 'C' and I can stay?

You said it so well.

Moose