[OM] [OT] Broadband deployment stats [was: someone has a virus]

Subject: [OM] [OT] Broadband deployment stats [was: someone has a virus]
From: "Michael R. Collins" <michael789@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 15:37:35 -0400
>I'm not even sure the US is in the top 10 in use of Broadband. Read an
>article the other day on it.  Germany was first, at something like 90+
>percent. The US was under 50%.
>
>Tom

Extract from DSL Prime (by Dave Burstein), November 28 2003:

<<
More than half the world's DSL is now in Asia. More than half of
cable is in North America.

Region          DSL     Cable

North America   11.2M   16.8M
EMEA            15.6M   4.7M
Asia-Pacific    29.2M   8.4M
CALA            1.3M    0.5M
Global          57.3M   30.4M
Growth          20%     7%

(From Teresa Mastrangelo of RHK. Early numbers, but pretty close.)

Extract from DSL Prime (by Dave Burstein), December 31 2003:

<<
The rankings, in thousands of lines:
  1. Japan 9,228
  2. USA 8,243
  3. China 7,817
  4. South Korea 7,069
  5. Germany 4,252
  6. France 2,429
  7. Taiwan 2,374
  8. Canada 2,027
  9. Italy 1,672
10. Spain 1,433
11. UK 1,414
12. Brazil 837
13. Belgium 706
14. Hong Kong 660
15. Netherlands 643
16. Sweden 508
17. Denmark 416
18. Switzerland 383
19. Israel 358
20. Australia 333

On September 30, China may have only been in third place, but they
have since passed the U.S. and should soon pass Japan as well.
Chinese numbers from different sources conflict, however.

The table is totally different when expressed as DSL per hundred phone lines.
  1. South Korea 30
  2. Taiwan 18
  3. Iceland 17
  4. Hong Kong 17
  5. Belgium 13
  6. Japan 12
  7. Israel 11
  8. Singapore 11
  9. Denmark 11
10. Canada 10

While the Q3 growth (new lines added, in thousands) points out some trends
  1. China 2,217
  2. Japan 971
  3. USA 762
  4. France 390