[OM] Macro Flash without the OM - why I love OTF

Subject: [OM] Macro Flash without the OM - why I love OTF
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 07:01:25 -0700 (PDT)
Made a trip into the big city this weekend to pick up some
miscellaneious bits and pieces for the cameras.  One item was a
Hama external hot-shoe that plugs into an X-Sync connector.
Needed it for the A1 so I could use my existing flash equipment.
 Not quite ready to spend $300 on a new dedicated flash.

Anyway, I got it all rigged up on my Stroboframe and and the
cabling all wire-tied on.  Ah!  What a nice looking job...

Anyway, the Hama shoe tilts.  I wanted a fixed one, but they
didn't have any.  Hmm.  Fine for portraits/weddings, but...
Hey!  I've got an idea.  I'm using a Vivitar flash with tilting
head.  I tilt the Hama shoe so the flash it almost flat over the
camera lens and then tilt the flash forward so that it's
pointing at a convergence point about six inches from the front
of the lens.  Presto, Instant "butterfly bracket".

Small problem, though.  I can't use auto-flash, so I set the
flash power on 1/16.  With the lens stopped all the way down to
F11 (the A1's smallest), the true ISO 160 proved to be TOO FAST!
 Ok, mess around with the shutter speeds and the cutoff happens
at 1/8000.  Rats.  Now what.  Diffusion material.  That'll knock
off the one-stop I need.  Otherwise, I'll need to put a
polorizer on the lens just to reduce exposure enough.

Ok, backing off the distance lens-subject distance to 9 inches
(at 200mm equivelent focal length) and rearranging the flash a
little bit I'm able to get the correct exposure.  Can you say
"bug setup"?

I've been way too spoiled with the OM system.  OTF flash control
is the best of the best.  Oh, my new bracket arrangement DOES
work with the OM-2S.  <smile>

AG-Schnozz