[OM] Re: OT Rant: No more $$ to Europe!

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Rant: No more $$ to Europe!
From: GFaulk7376@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 12:48:46 EDT
In a message dated 4/12/04 11:22:28 AM Central Daylight Time,
hiwayman@xxxxxxx writes:

> It will be a cold day in hell before I buy another piece of audio gear made
> anywhere in Europe.  About 18 months ago, I replaced a failing Meridian (
> British) D/A converter and ailing Meridian (British again) CD transport
with
> a do-everything Philips (Dutch) 1000 SACD/DVD player.  This thing
originally
> sold for $2000.

Say what you mean, Walt. Don't sugar coat it.  I'm sure you tried contacting
Meridian etc.... I've had really good luck with a few manufacturers of audio
equipment that I contacted directly. Audio Research rebuilt an amp for me for a
very reasonable price and Magnaplaner offered to repair my old MG 2.5R's for
nearly nothing. The cost to send the speakers to White Bear Lake, Minnesota,
exceeded the repair price. A service tech with Magnaplaner offered to walk me
through the repairs if I wanted to repair them myself-I did and the repairs
permanently solved the problem. Anyway, sorry to hear about the problems. It
amazes me how similar the taste in audio equipment, etc... people on this list
have. It must have something to do with our addiction to obsolete camera gear.

Gary Faulkenberry