[OM] Re: Noise Filtering

Subject: [OM] Re: Noise Filtering
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 09:54:54 -0700 (PDT)
I've been "poor man filtering" with a cool function of my
editor.  I create a duplicate layer and apply a selective
gaussian blur to that layer.  Then I mix the two layers to
balance the noise with detail.  You can even delete from the
blur layer to selectively bring details out.

Another "poor man" technique is to work on specific color
channels.  For example, I fight noise in the blue channel with
both the scanner and the camera.  Selective Gaussian Blur on a
duped blue channel will usually turn blue channel noise to a
blue haze which is then typically whacked with "Local Contrast
Enhancement" using the USM function.

No single technique will work for all pictures.  Hammers are
great for pounding nails, but make lousy screwdrivers.

AG-I like the darkroom, thank you very much-Schnozz