[OM] Re: OT Rant: No more $$ to Europe!

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Rant: No more $$ to Europe!
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 18:02:46 +0100
Well Walt, I have just found some 30 year-old AG3B flash bulbs by
Phillips and they worked fine.  You will probably find that the
electricity supply is rather too variable for sensitive electronic
equipment (my experience with the electricity supply in Florida 15
years ago prompts me to write that).

On the other hand, printed warranty notwithstanding, I should approach
Phillips in the spirit of a loyal customer who has been rather
disappointed by the performance of the equipment after the expiry of
the warranty and ask them to fix it for you, or replace it.  It might
be alien to US companies, but over here it is the *sprit* of the
warranty which normally prevails.

Chris

On 12 Apr 2004, at 17:21, Walt Wayman wrote:

> It will be a cold day in hell before I buy another piece of audio gear
> made anywhere in Europe.  About 18 months ago, I replaced a failing
> Meridian (British) D/A converter and ailing Meridian (British again)
> CD transport with a do-everything Philips (Dutch) 1000 SACD/DVD
> player.  This thing originally sold for $2000.  I hope no one bought
> one at that price.  I paid $999 at model-change time.  The POS
> gradually died.  First, it wouldn't do this, then it wouldn't do that,
> and soon it wouldn't do a ****ing thing.  In my opinion, a slow and
> lingering death is just what it deserved.

snipped...

> Still, I can't help but wonder, is there some lack of understanding of
> the fundamental principles of electricity over there?  Do American
> electrons commit unnatural acts on European devices?
>
> Walt

<|_:-)_|>

C M I Barker
Cambridgeshire, Great Britain.