[OM] Re: sticky shutter

Subject: [OM] Re: sticky shutter
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 20:20:34 -0700
pottyman@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>I assume you would agree with this, I think I have decided to give up on the 10

Sounds smart. (Especially if it has a serial number under 1,000,001, as
major improvements were made then.) The single digit series bodies were
simply made to a much higher standard than the 10 and its succesors.

>and get a OM 2 but which one 2, 2s, or 2n What do you guys think and why.

The 2 and 2n are very, very similar to each other. You can read about
the small differences here
<http://olympus.dementia.org/eSIF/om-sif/bodygroup/om2.htm>. In spite of
the name, the 2S is a very different camera, more closely related to the
OM-4 series. The big thing the 2S has is continuous spot metering, but
only in Manual Mode. There is only averaging metering in Auto Mode. In
Auto mode, they are functionally similar (although the function is
accomplished differently inside). The S requires a circular polarizer
and the 2(n) doesn't. The meter in Manual can be fooled by light coming
in through the viewfinder on the 2(n), but not the S. The really big
difference is in repairability. If the 2S circuit dies, and a fair
number reportedly have, you have a paper weight. The 2(n) bodies are
fully repairable and will be so for many years.

A lot more 2n bodies were made than plain 2 bodies and they will, of
course, be a little to a lot newer. I would look for a 2n (except I have
my original one from almost 30 years ago), but be happy if I found a
nice plain 2. Well, actually I would get an OM-1(n) and an OM-4. The
metering on the 4 is wonderful and it has other advantages over any of
the 2 bodies, but they can die and a properly cared for 1(n) will
outlive you. But that's not the question you asked.

Moose

>Also if I buy from cametta or similar, do these generally need a cla or not?

Yes! By which I mean that some will and some won't. I know John H.
leaves a sticker inside the film compartment on those has worked on. At
least some other repair people don't.One good, but not absolute, clue is
the condition of the foam.