[OM] Re: hood wanted

Subject: [OM] Re: hood wanted
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 21:25:41 -0700
There really isn't any substitute in the Oly line. The 2 you mention are
49mm and the 135/4.5 is 55mm. The only 55mm screw-in Oly hoods are for
35mm and wider lenses and would only provide very minimal protection.
The slip-on hood for the 55/1.2 might fit, but is likely rarer than the
one you want and still not good coverage.

I would go for a generic hood while keeping an eye out for the correct
one. I happen to have a 55mm Hoya Multi Hood on another lens, which
looks like a pretty good bet. At its longest extention, it is just a
little bit deeper than the Oly hood, but the inner diameter is slightly
greater, so the angle should be about the same. If there should be a bit
of vignetting, you can easily cut a few mm off the front, it's just
rubber. The disadvantage is that it has no internal threads on the front
for cap or filter. There are a lot of general purpose hoods available, I
just happen to have this one which looks like a good match.

If you want to look around, the distance from the front edge of the hood
to the rear of the aperture ring is 62.4mm and the ID at the very end is
about 71.5mm (rubber makes for slightly measurement accuracy limitations).

Moose