[OM] Re: Noise Filtering

Subject: [OM] Re: Noise Filtering
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 21:47:11 -0700
chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>I feel the same excitement as you when I first pay with the NeatImage and I
>even purchased the Pro Edition. I have it for ten months, it is good but
>don't rely too much on it. Together with noise it also cleans up the subtle
>details on the image, in many cases it makes the photo look un-real. You
>will soon found you prefer to leave some noise on the image rather than to
>left it on default cleaning mode.

Yes, I'm aware of the trade-offs. However, they are trade-offs that
aren't available otherwise. The key is that these programs can, in some
cases and for some purposes, turn an unusable image into a useable one,
although not as good as one that had lower noise to start with. The shot
taken at high iso and noise reduced is still better than the one that
can't be taken in the light available or is blurred by motion.

>I know there are lots of settings on the software you can pay with but not all
>images can benefit from cleaning.

Agreed

>A camera with reasonable noise level is much more important

Of course, and that is one of the trade-offs made in choosing a camera.
I have just about decided it's not time for a DSLR for me yet, until I
see what the next generation brings. I am considering the A2 as a bridge
camera. It has many attractive aspects, but especially interesting to me
is the anti-shake. I seem to be forever pushing my ability to handhold
longer speeds or carry a tripod where I would prefer not to or simply
can't. And most of these situations are with relatively static subjects,
so anti-shake looks very attractive. Obviously, I could simply not use
the higher iso speeds, but that seems wasteful and frustrating. The
ability to get usable, if slightly less sharp, shots at those higher
speeds adds to the potential overall usefulness of the camera.

>actually some slight noise will make the picture look better.

I think that depends on the subject, the taste of the photographer and
the particular type of noise.