[OM] 135/4.5 Zuiko Macro hood

Subject: [OM] 135/4.5 Zuiko Macro hood
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 13:38:42 +0000
I have a metal 55mm Tiffen screw-in hood that works almost as well as the
genuine clamp-on rubber Olympus hood.  In fact, when using filters, especially
a polarizer, it's actually more convenient because it just screws into the
front threads of the filter.  I use it with the 135/4.5 fairly often.  Just
about any not-for-a-wide-angle-lens 55mm screw-in hood should do nicely.

As for the Olympus hood, not only does it fit and work quite well on the
135/4.5 and 90/2, I also use it on the 50/2.  And, no, deep as it is, it still
doesn't vignette.

As for the collapsible Hoya Multi Lens hood Moose mentioned, that's also a
viable alternative.  I have one in the 82mm size I use on the 80-200/2.8 Tamron
when I'm using a filter.  Since the Tamron takes 77mm filters, which I have
none of, I use a step-up ring so I can use 82mm filters, which I have lots of.
Then, of course, the Tamron hood won't fit, so this is my solution.  This hood,
with it's three snap-to positions, can be adjusted to provide maximum
protection from flare at both the long and short focal lengths.  You just have
to remember to pop it back to the WA position when you zoom from 200mm back to
80mm.  I have another one that's 72mm.  Same story, except it's for the
35-80/2.8 Zuiko, which takes 62mm filters, which I also have none of, but have
a step-up ring and lots of 72mm filters.

Walt, not hoodwinking anyone