[OM] Re: olympus Digest V1 #77

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus Digest V1 #77
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 19:23:51 -0800

>------------------------------
>
>Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 09:55:07 -0500
>From: Skip Williams <om2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [OM] Re: E-1 article in  Photo Techniques and other posts
>

>Image write times?  Hmmm.  From dpreview.com's timings
>
>Times: SHQ, RAW, SHQ+RAW write one file,
>   E-1: 2.0, 2.8, 4.9
>   1D: 1.8, 2.7, 3.4
>   10D: 2.0, 5.0, NA
>   D100: 4.1, 8.1, NA
>   D2H: 2.1, 2.6, 3.8
>   *istD: 2.5, 8.7, NA
>
>The E-1 takes 33 seconds to write out a full, 12-exposure burst, but
>it's available about 2.5 sec after the burst has finished for more
>shots.
>
>Where did you see big problems?  The one thing that I'd like to know
>is the difference between the 40x Lexar 1Gig and the Sandisk Ultra
>II, as with a very fast camera like the D2H or 1D, the Sandisk Ultra
>II is 30-40% faster; but I'm not sure how much the high-end card
>choice makes with a mid-line DSLR like the E-1.
>
>Skip

Skip,
I saw problems on a no. of occasions, either panning when shooting
racing, or sometimes even taking shots in the pits,
portraits...sometimes I would try to take one photo after another,
click, click, and end up waiting for the red light to quit flashing.
Mike, the other photographer who actually got the E-1 from the Oly
rep grumbled about it, too.

But I think I know what the issue is...I think the card needs to be
formatted "in-camera"....I was wiping the card clean on the computer
and putting it in the camera with no images on it, but I think an E-1
specific re-format might yield better results.

Cheers,
Stephen.