[OM] Little 'ol Zuikos vs. big ol' Tamrons

Subject: [OM] Little 'ol Zuikos vs. big ol' Tamrons
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 16:33:02 +0000
Due to an unexpected occurrence of wildlife activity in the woods behind the
house, I had occasion this morning to scurry out for a bit of hand-held
photography with an OM-4Ti, MD2 and Tamron 300/2.8.  After less than 15 minutes
of stalking and shooting, I was reminded, and quite emphatically, why, when I
got the Tamron, a truly remarkable and wonderful lens, I kept my 300/4.5 Zuiko.
 Shooting hand-held, if there's enough light to make it to f/8 @ 1/250, or
better, there's probably not going to be any discernible difference in the
result.  With a tripod, maybe; but hand-held, I seriously doubt it.  But after
using the Zuiko, you probably won't require orthopedic or chiropractic
treatment the next day.

The difference in size and weight is more than enough to justify having two
lenses of the same focal length.  This is also why I?m keeping my 400/6.3
Zuiko.  Either Zuiko weighs about one third as much as the faster, but one hell
of a lot bigger and heavier Tamrons of the same focal length.  Experiences like
these also help me feel better about not owning any of the big whites.

Walt