[OM] Re: Hunstanton #2

Subject: [OM] Re: Hunstanton #2
From: "Graham Battison" <graham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 18:21:55 +0100
From: "Wilcox, Joel F" <joel-wilcox@xxxxxxxxx>

> Unfortunately, it doesn't answer the question to me.  It looks like a
> setting in which a red filter would actually have made very little
> difference.  What say, Graham?
>
> I also *really* love this photo.
>
> Joel W.
>

> > Nice! Guess this answers the question of whether B & W filters can be
> > used with chromogenic film....
> >
> > Rob Harrison
> > Seattle
> >
> > > http://www.geebeephoto.com/temp/Hunstanton_02.html
---------------------------
Hi Joel,

Years ago I would never have used a red filter because I disliked the way
they blackened blue skies and also the extra overall contrast that usually
went with them. Yellow filters were my thing and occasionally I would go
mad/artistic and use an orange filter. For reasons I don't fully (or
partially) understand, possibly a scanning thing, I now find that  need to
use a red filter to get the same effect I used to get with less drastic
filtration.

There was no blue sky in the Hunstanton shot which is the usual target for
filtration but the clouds were dark blue, or at least at that end of the
spectrum. So I went with the red filter. Initially I burned in the sky in
PhotoShop to darken it further but the 'box' like light area went from
looking striking, which is what prompted the shot, to supernatural. So
supernatural in fact that I eased off because I didn't want to spend all
week answering charges of pasting in a sky from somewhere else. Sometimes
natures sky is beyond even the mighty PhotoShop :-)

Short answer: the red filter darkened the bluish clouds.

--Graham