[OM] Re: OT Rant: No more $$ to Europe!

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Rant: No more $$ to Europe!
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 11:46:40 +0100
Quite right, Chris, and (as far as UK supply is concerned) quite wrong
Daniel, in the sense that you would be ill-advised to mix them up!  But I
will be happy for Tim Hughes to tell me otherwise (again!).

Thw neutral wire *is* neutral, with zero current flowing, when the entire
system is running properly - the entire system is a three-phase AC system,
able to provide 415V three-phase, and 24v from any one phase.  For domestic
supply, single pahse is the norm, and assuming all three phases are
balanced, there will be no current flowing on the neutral (which is common
to all three pahses).

It was a question that bugged me at school too (thinking of James Royall's
original question) but I got the answer in Chemistry rather than Physics
class.  Put that down to the approachability of the teacher.

Piers