[OM] Re: OT: Digi, Large 22M CCD's

Subject: [OM] Re: OT: Digi, Large 22M CCD's
From: "Evan Ruff" <evan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 11:18:23 -0400
Hello all, this is my first post to this list. In addition, this is probably
the first time I will actually use all of the Computer Engineering knowledge
GTech taught me. Here goes nothing:

The active area figure in that you're quoting is actually the "pixel size",
or the size of a single photodiode that is used to capture the image. a 9um
process is HUGE against today's transistor sizes (you hear about Intel's new
.13 um process, or the .09 um process next year)  This refers to the
lithography used to shove those tiny little transistors onto silicon.

Olympus' 8um process is technically a better solution. The smaller you can
get those photodiodes, the higher resolution you can get on a smaller
physical chip (die). Smaller chips are better because they are faster, use
less power, less distortion, lower cost and you can get higher resolution.
Increasing the die size (which is what this manufacture did, and what
Leica's digital back will do) is cheating. You're getting a higher
resolution, which is great, but you're sacrificing speed and (great) cost.

The theoretical limit to today's photodiode design in somewhere in the 1 -
0.9 um range. When the lithography catches up to that size you'll really
start to see some spectacular digital advantages. Imagine a body the size of
an OM chassis that's taking Medium Format quality shots. It'll be hot.
(where are we going to store those 1GB pictures?)

And on that note, can someone just build a sturdy digital camera that is the
same size/shape as my OM that I can use my Zuiko lenses? Is that too much to
ask?

Evan

PS. The "darkroom" at Georgia Tech could easily be rivaled by a flashlight
some Tupperware.