[OM] Re: OT Three - phase mains (was OT Rant: No more $$ to Europe!)

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Three - phase mains (was OT Rant: No more $$ to Europe!)
From: David Thatcher <davidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 20:21:04 +0930
In south australia, the neutral is locally created at the 'nearest'
transformer. I grew up in a semi-rural environment - the nearest
transformer was on top of a pole not far away - 3 wires in (delta), 4
wires out (star), which fed the half-dozen houses on our end of the
run... that always puzzled me as a teenager, until I did my
paraprofessional electronics course at college (read 'night school' in
the land of the Brady Bunch!)

we use the MEN (multiple earth neutral) system (as apparently does parts
of the UK), where the neutral is connected to the earth at the house
distribution board (& to a stake in the ground outside). this ensures
there is only one 'hot' wire & thus (arguably) increases the safety of
the system generally.

davidt