[OM] Re: Stylus cameras and "exposure compensation"

Subject: [OM] Re: Stylus cameras and "exposure compensation"
From: "Wilcox, Joel F" <joel-wilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 10:09:11 -0500
Previously I wrote:

> I am merely interested to learn
> more about the
> subtle differences in design as suggested by the fact that
> Olympus seems
> to have traded the "spot mode" feature for the seemingly less
> sophisticated +1.5 exposure comp in the newer model.  I am
> running slide
> film right now to satisfy myself as to what the cameras are actually
> doing and how well.  I'll report back when I get the film.

I've now gotten slides back for the Stylus Zoom 80 (with +1.5
compensation) and the Zoom 70 (with spot mode).  The Zoom 80
unfortunately has some kind of problem which causes lens reflections to
appear in the lower corners of the frame and will go back to KEH.  To my
taste, the slides were all a little over-exposed, so that might be part
of the general problem with this example.  Flash shots were actually the
best.

Upon first viewing the results from the Zoom 70, I am starting to change
my hypothesis about the zoom 70 being a bit more sophisticated camera
with spot mode.  From what I see it looks to me like it also is just a +
exp comp mode.  I have some more test shots to take to prove this, but I
shot a flower against a black background.  Normal exposure gave me an
acceptable, if very slightly over-exposed slide.  Spot mode on the
flower itself rendered an even more over-exposed result.  (With OM-4
spotting on the flower against a black background would have given the
correct exposure -- I have done this many times.)

Now that I am clearer what I am testing for, I will try to prove that
the spot mode in the zoom 70 (and I presume other Stylus cameras?) is
just a + exp. comp factor of some kind.

Joel W.