[OM] Re: Authenticity

Subject: [OM] Re: Authenticity
From: Peter Klein <pklein@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 10:52:41 -0700
Graham wrote:
 > No one at the link below (how they got hold of it is a mystery) is a
 > believer but my garden sign shot is absolutely genuine

http://www.snopes.com/message/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/60/t/000595.html

The original picture:  http://www.geebeephoto.com/temp/Garden_sign.html

Graham:  As an admirer of your photography, a dog lover, a collector of
"funny signs" shots myself, and someone who's sick at home with a stomach
"bug" today and needs to cause some trouble, I must urge you not to let
this insult pass (pardon the choice of words).

Want to *really* want to have some fun with these digital experts?  Make a
scan of the negative strip with a flatbed, so it shows the Deflowered
Garden Sign picture along with its neighbors, and includes the film
perforations, frame numbers, etc.  Borrow a flatbed if you have to--this is
worth it.

Post this digital "contact sheet," with absolutely no curve alteration or
anything else, at as high a resolution as you can afford (in terms of Web
space).  Then send a message to that Urban Legends site along with some
grumpy remark about their having impugned your honor as a photographer, and
that perhaps you should be talking to your solicitor about this.

Then watch half of 'em squirm, and the other half insist that it is *still*
a fake.  :-)

--Peter, in a subversive mood today.