[OM] Re: Leica shots

Subject: [OM] Re: Leica shots
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 08:38:32 -0700

On Apr 20, 2004, at 4:52 AM, ClassicVW@xxxxxxx wrote:

> I agree that they are both precise, and great feedback for the senses,
> but
> I've never found an older Leica to be "swift to use".

I found mine to very quick to use, although that came after a bit of
use. Learning to judge exposure with a simple wide field meter takes a
while. We Olympus users are spoiled though, and I might not be so
pleased going back to a Leica.

> Unless you just have it pre-set, the focus and exposure, and just whip
> it out
> and hope for the best. But, that was never my style, and I can't for
> the life
> of me see what the attraction is for all those modern "street
> shooters" over
> on the Leica forums. Just how many "candids" of commuters walking down
> the
> streets of New York does one need? And if I see one more "candid" shot
> of a
> "street performer" I'll scream..

I am somewhat sympathetic to that position but those were the best(or
least offensive) pictures in the recent Diane Arbus exhibit that I saw.
there are photographers who feel a similar aversion to transparencies,
family pictures, scenics and travel pictures. It's a big world.

Winsor
Long Beach, California
USA