[OM] ( OM ) tripod stability

Subject: [OM] ( OM ) tripod stability
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 16:38:14 +1200
Hello all

Yesterday I was taking some shots outside in the autumn sunshine and
there was a slight fitful wind. Not strong at all ( 5 - 10 kph), and present
only
sometimes.

For some reason that escapes me now, I had a put a hand on a  tripod leg
and I was amazed to find that when the wind was blowing, the legs of the
tripod were quivering with a fairly high-speed vibration induced by the wind. I
may have felt some vibration on the camera; not I'm not sure.

The tripod is a Gitzo Studex 320, and quite heavy. I had it extended to about
full stretch which put the camera at eye height of a bit under 6 ft (1.7
metres).

I had not doubt that even using mirror lockup and aperture prefire, this could
have degraded the images. Although at the time I was not using the self-
timer since the clouds were moving so fast and the gaps of sunlight were so
brief that any delay in making the exposure would have missed the best
moment.

Have any other OMers had this happen?

Brian