[OM] Re: Darkroom - Getting the paper to turn black

Subject: [OM] Re: Darkroom - Getting the paper to turn black
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 07:15:13 -0700 (PDT)
I've got several of thoughts on this one.  (like that suprises
anyone?)

1. I'm not familiar with the developer, but it may have a
stronger sequestering agent than the paper needs.  To counter
that, you'll need to increase agitation.

2. Improper wash and dry of the print.  When setting the print
out to dry it usually helps to squeegy off the water.  It'll
help remove a haze that can haunt glossy RC prints.

3. Inadequate development.  I usually run 200% published
development time.  Fiber papers require twice the development
time of RC prints.  Use the highest concentration of developer
to water ratio.  "Economy" settings rarely give good DMAX.

4. Soft paper grade.  If your enlarger lightsource is too yellow
you will be exposing the soft grade emulsion layer. This layer
will not produce a solid DMAX.  Try using a harder grade setting
(I'm assuming that you are using a variable contrast paper).

5. Negative is C-41 based?  With the exception of Ilford XP-2,
the C-41 based B&W films have a base density that does skew both
exposure time and effective paper grade (with VC papers). Most
Kodak C-41 B&W films require a Grade 3.5 as the minimum setting
just to get a full-range print.  With Kodak "Select" B&W you'll
be pushing Grade 4 to get clean blacks.  (but then your tonal
seperations go to pot).

6. Over or under-fixing.

AG-Schnozz