[OM] Re: Darkroom - Getting the paper to turn black

Subject: [OM] Re: Darkroom - Getting the paper to turn black
From: Nils Frohberg <nilsf@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 17:00:34 +0200
AG Schnozz wrote:
> I've got several of thoughts on this one.  (like that suprises
> anyone?)

i appreciate your darkroom posts very much. lots of useful stuff. thanks
again for this!

> 1. I'm not familiar with the developer, but it may have a
> stronger sequestering agent than the paper needs.  To counter
> that, you'll need to increase agitation.

well, the developer was bundled with the fixer and the paper. i guess
agfa somehow thought that they _should_ work together (but one never
knows :P).

i currently (especially with the test strips) agitate constantly. i
haven't been able to try different agitation results as i want to get
the first steps done first..

> 2. Improper wash and dry of the print.  When setting the print
> out to dry it usually helps to squeegy off the water.  It'll
> help remove a haze that can haunt glossy RC prints.

hmm, this could be a problem. i usually don't dry my test prints
thoroughly. is tonality increasing while drying?

> 3. Inadequate development.  I usually run 200% published
> development time.  Fiber papers require twice the development
> time of RC prints.  Use the highest concentration of developer
> to water ratio.  "Economy" settings rarely give good DMAX.

as i wrote in another post, i also tried with "way beyond" published
time. (as in 3min, actually over 4min at least one strip too)

> 4. Soft paper grade.  If your enlarger lightsource is too yellow
> you will be exposing the soft grade emulsion layer. This layer
> will not produce a solid DMAX.  Try using a harder grade setting
> (I'm assuming that you are using a variable contrast paper).

the tests i ran weren't only under the enlarger. i tried exposing for
several minute (15?) to "normal" (i.e. non-safe) light. that should be
enough to reach Dmax, no?

> 5. Negative is C-41 based?  With the exception of Ilford XP-2,
> the C-41 based B&W films have a base density that does skew both
> exposure time and effective paper grade (with VC papers). Most
> Kodak C-41 B&W films require a Grade 3.5 as the minimum setting
> just to get a full-range print.  With Kodak "Select" B&W you'll
> be pushing Grade 4 to get clean blacks.  (but then your tonal
> seperations go to pot).

well, the negative i tried to enlarge were all on fp4+, but negative/no
negative doesn't change the lack of Dmax.

> 6. Over or under-fixing.

i stayed with the published times most often. sometimes i tried
over/under fixing, not very often though. i didn't see any changes in
tonality.

> AG-Schnozz

the strange thing here is that i really exposed the paper to its fullest
(i'm quite sure), and don't get proper black. that's why i suspect the
developer. (i also tried several very old ones, so they don't count)

puzzling,

--nils