[OM] Re: Darkroom - Getting the paper to turn black

Subject: [OM] Re: Darkroom - Getting the paper to turn black
From: Nils Frohberg <nilsf@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 20:13:58 +0200
AG Schnozz wrote:
>>Aha! sure, my developer is dark brown. So that's the problem!
>>i guess
>>i'm off to the store to share a little chat with the
>>salesperson.
>

> We've all been there, done that.  Don't feel bad.  I would take
> in a small sample and your receipt.  (A urine sample can also be
> used in a pinch--put in a drop of red and yellow food coloring
> if it isn't dark enough)  <smile>

i was 20 minutes too late to get to the shop. i'll have to go there
tomorrow again..

i found this on google groups (should have checked earlier):
http://tinyurl.com/3hc3m
my neutol is really dark red-brown. i really hope that i will get a new
bottle to try it out tomorrow. in the meantime, i will simply use...

> Another technique for testing your developer is to take a drop
> of it and place it on a small scrap of printing paper.  Turn on
> the light and watch to see if the emulsion turns black where
> it's wet.  No black, it's shot.

...to test the old chemicals that are in the darkroom. maybe i'm lucky..

> BTW, most papers have some form of developer in the emulsion
> now. If you take a scrap of unprocessed paper and set it out in
> the light you'll see it gradually darken.  This imbedded
> developer helps in two areas:  It provides for rapid development
> (50% of the time of non-developer papers) and less chance of
> splotchy development.

i have notice this on several long exposure test strips..

> Regarding stop-bath.  I much prefer using a proper stop-bath
> over plain water.  It makes the fixer last longer and prevents
> streaking and splotching (a technical term) if you turn the
> lights on during fixing.  It takes a good 30 seconds for the
> developer to become inactive in either stop-bath or fixer.
> Surface development stops immediately, but the emulsion is more
> than just surface.

i am currently using vinegar essence in water, i will upgrade once i get
the hang of printing.

--nils