[OM] Re: The smell of ink drying and other printer comments

Subject: [OM] Re: The smell of ink drying and other printer comments
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 07:00:33 -0700 (PDT)
> I can't give any real results from the Galerie archival
> properties - ask me
> again in 20 years... ;-)
>  - the paper's only been on the market a few months.
> But the website explains it's better to put it under glass to
> seal in the
> gases.

One of my test procedures is to make a print, cut it in two,
secure one half to the south wall of my house, under the eave,
but in the sun and the other half goes into airtight dark
storage.  Provided it doesn't get rained on, it's a pretty
affective test.

I'm 200 meters from Interstate-80, so there are plenty of
noxious emissions from 20,000 trucks per day passing by, and
usually a breaze if not a decent wind.

A print on matte type paper will have nearly 100% yellow fade
within two weeks.

A print on Canon Photo Paper Pro will have visible yellow fading
in two weeks and about a 75% yellow fade within six months. (but
it withstands water damage exceptionally well).

A print on Ilford Gallarie Classic (gloss and pearl) gets water
damaged before ANY visible fading occurs.  I've got multiple
prints under florescent and incadescent lights that also exhibit
zero visible loss. (unprotected by mount or glass).

>From these tests, I can have total confidence in the fade
resistance of the Ilford Classics.  Just keep them dry and
protected from water damage.  It is tougher working with them
because of the dry time (takes up to 24 hours in high density
areas) and the bronzing.  However...

Ilford has changed their recommended settings for Classic in
Canon printers.  It was their recommendation to use "High-Gloss
Photo Film", but have changed to "Photo Paper Pro".  I
discovered this by accident about two months ago and the
bronzing and dry time reduced noticably.

OM content:  I print lots of pictures taken with the OMs and
Zuikos.

AG