[OM] Re: Big Cameras (Re: Scan OM/film or get digital camera?)

Subject: [OM] Re: Big Cameras (Re: Scan OM/film or get digital camera?)
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 09:00:32 -0700

On Apr 24, 2004, at 6:41 AM, Skip Williams wrote:

> Certainly a larger camera means more room for electronics, mechanics,
> and batteries.  I doubt whether C and N actually waste much space
> inside those big bodies.  If you look at the E-1, it's just about the
> same size as a 10D or D100, and much larger with the booster pack.

Of course that is true. There is a minimum size for all that digital
stuff, now, but I was not really talking about that. I was talking
about the 5 pounders with batteries and modest zoom attached. And the
silly arguments that somehow the weight improves picture taking. Even
the argument that the weight is needed for reliable shutters and
mirrors is specious as any of us with our ancient, 16 oz. SLRs can
attest.

But the D70, 300D, and Pentax are showing that size can go down.
However, even though the D2H is smaller than the D1H, the deluxe
cameras will continue to be large mostly because of the customer's
expectation and size reduction not being considered to be a feature.
That was the beauty of the OM. Just as capable, but small and light.

Winsor
Long Beach, California
USA