[OM] Re: Ballheads WAS OT: Airline Travel Bags -- Thanks! plus Oz Kit

Subject: [OM] Re: Ballheads WAS OT: Airline Travel Bags -- Thanks! plus Oz Kit
From: Rob Harrison <robhar@xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 11:36:40 -0700
The ballhead I have that'd I sell is  the Giottos MN-1001, with tension
control and independent panning lock--for something like $35, after I
get back from my trip end of May.
<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/
home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=156562&is=REG>
The problem is, I'd sell it because it's frustrating to work with, so I
wouldn't really recommend you buy it! Fine for very lightweight
camera/lens combos, but as soon as you get something like, say, a
OM-4ti with a 180/2.8 or 24 shift on there, it'll slump after you clamp
it down. So you get the shot all framed, lock it down, and it slumps
just enough to require reframing. So you have to aim it a bit high and
have the droop let the framing fall into where you actually want it to
be. The Markins Q-ball is super expensive, but sounds like it will stay
where you put it. That's what I'm going to get as soon as I can afford
it.

-Rob