[OM] Re: [OT] Olympus RC problems

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Olympus RC problems
From: john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 18:57:05 +0100
On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 13:42:32 +0200, Henrik Dahl <hdahl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>Wrong list, I know, but you all know so much. :-)
>
>OK: I bought an Oly RC to my wife on *bay. It came delivered all the
>way from southafrica to Sweden. Shutter works at all speeds but on Auto
>setting the meter SOMETIMES wrongly thinks light is not enough and
>locks the camera (as it should in too dark conditions). Other times it
>works just fine.

We have an RC that does this too!  The auto exposure system is
semi-mechanical and is, I believe, called a trapped needle system.
You'll when you press the button that the exposure meter "needle" gets
trapped to lock the aperture; if that happens before it gets to or
beyond full aperture it locks, as you say. To some extent it seems to
depend on how rapidly you push the button; I regard it as more of a
nuisance but my wife gets very frustrated with it.

John Gruffydd (Mold, Wales, UK)