[OM] Re: [OT] Olympus RC problems

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Olympus RC problems
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 11:21:12 -0700
on 4/27/04 4:42 AM, Henrik Dahl at hdahl@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Wrong list, I know, but you all know so much. :-)
>
> OK: I bought an Oly RC to my wife on *bay. It came delivered all the
> way from southafrica to Sweden. Shutter works at all speeds but on Auto
> setting the meter SOMETIMES wrongly thinks light is not enough and
> locks the camera (as it should in too dark conditions). Other times it
> works just fine.
> I could take the hassle to return it of course, but it "feels" as if
> something just needs tightening or a cable is a little loose or
> something. If you turn it upside down/shake it gently sometimes the
> meter will lock up.
> I have 1,3 V Varta 625 PX batteries  that are relatively fresh. The
> meter in the RC shouldn't be too batteryhungry, or?
>
> All help appreciated
> Henrik

Henrik - The 35-RC is a great little camera! What it sounds like to me is
that the meter needle is getting stuck sometimes. The Auto setting on the
35-RC works by what is called a 'trapped needle' system. As you press the
shutter release, a mechanism traps the meter reading needle and translates
that into the aperture opening... if the needle is getting stuck in the
wrong spot, the trap mechanism will think there is no aperture setting wide
(or small) enough and lock out the shutter release. Unfortunately I don't
think this is a really simple fix, as it would involve getting inside the
camera body in some depth. Its hard to say whether its economic to fix a
35-RC, they seem to go on e*ay for ~$50 or so. But if you get one that works
well they are very capable with a good lens and nice small easy-handling
package.
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...