[OM] Re: Ashley Northamptonshire #3 - rapeseed crop - OT OT OT

Subject: [OM] Re: Ashley Northamptonshire #3 - rapeseed crop - OT OT OT
From: "Tom Trottier" <tOM@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 09:47:08 -0400
Canola was just a renaming of the Politically Incorrect rapeseed, but
indeed, most of the crop is genetically engineered.

tOM

On Thursday, April 29, 2004 at 9:27,
Andrew Gullen <olympus@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> To clarify - I believe it predates what we now call genetic engineering (it
> was around in at least the early 80's). It was bred. That's of course a form
> of engineering too, but no transgenic or molecular-level techniques were
> used.
>
> Unfortunately I understand it has since been subjected to genetic
> engineering, and 50% of the planted crop in Canada and the US is now GMO.
> Also unfortunately, we have no labelling laws (in either country) so you are
> deprived of your right to make your own choice. Except of course not to buy
> the oil at all...
>
> BTW, I'm not totally anti-GMO, but think extreme caution is needed here, and
> I'm highly sceptical of the consumer benefits so far.
>
> Andrew
>
> on 2004/04/29 5:01 AM, Brian Swale at bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > The name comes from CANadianOiL  and it is genetically engineered
> > rapeseed plant that is very low in erucic acid,

------- Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur -------
   ,__@ tOM Trottier +1 613 231-6115
 _-\_<,         758 Albert St.,Ottawa ON Canada K1R 7V8
(*)/'(*)                N45.412 W75.714