[OM] Re: Eyeglasses, Sunglasses & viewfinder questions

Subject: [OM] Re: Eyeglasses, Sunglasses & viewfinder questions
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 18:53:43 +0100
Phil

On 30 Apr 2004, at 18:11, Philippe Le Zuikomane wrote:

> For those of you who have contended with such issues before:
>
> 1/  If you were to take up casual photography but wore thickish
> gradual bifocal eyeglasses also correcting for astigmatism and myopia,
> would you consider the viewfinders on many SLRs a lost cause?

Probably

> Would you look for a high-point VF like the Nikon F3 design rather
> than an Oly?
>
> Would you just look for a good digicam with a bright, sharp LDC on its
> back?

I  challenge you to find a LCD that is usable for focusing.

> Would you go for cameras that allow you to focus on ground glass,
> without having to peer at it by way of mirrors?

Probably, but you would need to use the close part of your bifocals.

> Would you just keep buying those Ansel Adams catalogs and let that
> other goofball in the family make a fool of himself fumbling beautiful
> Olys?
>
> 2/  Also wondering about best approach to correction for very slight
> short-sightedness (.25 correction; the other eye is long-sighted, .75
> correction) plus protection from stray light getting into finder and
> affecting top cells with OM-1n and OM-2n -- Oly eyecups?
>
> Other, more makeshift solutions (I did get a soft-brimmed Tilley hat
> after struggling with a baseball cap)? My glasses tend to sit too far
> down my nose whilst my eyes don't have deep sockets. (No punning,
> Gord!) (Did someone say 'contacts'?) (Huh?)
>
> 3/  Has anyone tried those unusual sunglasses that part over the
> bridge of your nose so you can scoot them down and wear them round
> your neck? I find dealing with tinted glasses on sunny days while
> trying to take (bad) pictures very awkward, yet I do need to protect
> my eyes from all the UVs.
I am no expert, but you don't need sunglasses to absorb UV rays as far
I as I understand it.  Anyway, youi would have to wear them close to
your face to prevent the rays from reaching your eyes.  I should try a
hat - you never look silly in a Tilley!
;-)

Sorry I have not been much help!

Chris