[OM] Event photography with digital vs film

Subject: [OM] Event photography with digital vs film
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 1 May 2004 16:49:11 -0700 (PDT)
For the past couple of years I've sworn that it would be the
very last time I shoot a certain annual event (a convention)
with film.  Well, this year I shot it in digital.  Kept the film
cameras within reach if necessary, but never did use them.

I'm glad that my first "serious" digital camera wasn't that big
of a financial investment. I can guarantee that I probably would
have made the wrong decision if I'd gone directly to a DSLR.

In three evenings I shot over 700 pictures.  I in-camera edited
out over 200.  3/4 of the pictures were with flash.  Of the
flash pictures, 1/3 were with studio flash.  Without using a
dedicated flash, controlled by the camera, I found that I fought
exposures more than I should have.  Too many years with OTF, I
guess.

The weight (or lack of) was a blessing. Mounted on the
stroboframe with flash, it looked deceptably heavy (and
professional).  My wrists or shoulders never fatigued.

I really enjoyed the live image on the rear monitor.  I'd really
like to see a professional DSLR with this capability.  Whenever
I used the tripod, I almost always use the rear display.
Furthermore, it provides for candid opportunities because I
could flip the monitor up so it was like a waist-level finder.
Really slick.  More valuable than I though.  I much rather
prefer an optical SLR viewfinder, though.

The anti-shake function proved to be less valuable in this
situation.  Since I was photographing people, I was able to hold
the camera steady, but much harder to keep the subjects sharp
because they moved too much during the exposures.  Why?

Noisy high-ISOs.  I've learned my lesson.  Next digital will be
a larger sensor.  Need to be able to shoot ISO 400 without fear
and loathing.  Yet, to put it in perspective, the A1's noise
characteristics at ISO 400 are barely perseptable in the average
5x7 and, with work, acceptable in 8x10 size.  I shot ISO 200 for
almost everything which provided acceptable 8x10s with no post.

The first night I fought white balance something fierce. The
A1's Auto-WB stinks.  It is unable to figure out what to do with
most forms of artificial lighting--especially stage lights.
Fortunately I shot in RAW mode so on night #2 I was able to set
a custom WB and go back and apply that WB setting to all three
nights worth of non-flash shots. Even at that, a slight warming
in post-production provided the Provia look I was seeking.

JPEG + RAW.  I'll never buy another digital that doesn't provide
both simultaneously.  It would have cut down on my
post-production time immensely.  I'm glad I shot RAW, but it
added about five hours to the project.  Without the JPEG "proof"
you have to batch convert everything before you can edit down.

Multiple storage.  I need to pick up another 1GB+ CF card.

I very much enjoyed the instant feedback of digital.
Unfortunately, it was also necessary.  I'm still not comfortable
with my flash exposures so I had to review nearly every photo
and make adjustments as necessary.  Where's my OTF?

Filesizes were nearly ideal.  For this type of photography I'm
hard pressed to figure out a need for 8MP (or more).  5MP is
just enough and is managable.  I'm not saying that I'd turn down
more pixels, but my original hunch about this proved to be
accurate.  Still, my next camera (unless it's a used D1X) will
be at least 8MP.

Battery life was awesome. Only one time did I change batteries.
This was with extremely heavy monitor use and in-camera editing.
When I got home at night, I popped in the second battery and
charged the depleted one.  Only on the third evening did I
change batteries and that's because I knew that it would die
before the night was out and I had a convenient moment to do it.

So, what does this have to do with OMs?  A lot.  I really missed
the viewfinder of the OM.  I really missed the OTF of the OM.
And I really missed the lenses of the OM.

As time goes on, I'm learning more and more about what I really
want in a DSLR.  I'm concerned about the sensor size of the E-1
and the autofocus performance.  The size, weight, and other
performance characteristics of the camera appear ok, though.  If
I could have had the E-1 with my 100/2.8 for this event, I would
have been in hog heaven.

I'm around 4500 pictures with the A1 now.  I'm not disappointed
in my purchase at all.  It has paid for itself several times
over already.  It's been earning it's keep.  But, I'm more than
pleased whenever I pick up my OM.  There's just something
special about it.

I doubt I'd ever shoot another convention type event again with
film.  There's just too much to gain in shooting digital. But
this is bulk shooting.  300 pictures were taken within an hour
and a half.  But for my personal artwork, film is still
superior.

And for film shooting, well, the OM is king.

AG-Schnozz