[OM] Re: Annoying virus

Subject: [OM] Re: Annoying virus
From: "Ali" <farali@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 May 2004 09:18:44 -0400
Certainly your PC can be hijacked...for this simple reason you need
anti-virus software, anti-spam software, and two of the better spyware
removal utilities Ad-ware and SPYBOT. As for your PC ending up being used as
a spam server...unless you are running a Microsoft Exchange server with the
relay open...your system really cant be used as a spam relay. I would worry
more about your own personal data loss rather than SPAM. Think of it this
way....hopefully most of your neighbors are like mine and they dont have a
clue about computers, networking, etc. You should be OK even with the "out
of the box" setup...at least you took the initiative to get something
between the connection and your PC. Keeping your PC protected is really just
common sense and really does require a ton of money!!

I use the following:

Norton Anti-virus Corporate Edition (excellent if you have multiple PC's
connected in a home network)

Norton is THE BEST...there is no doubt in my mind. However, if you do happen
to get infected...sometimes the Symantec FIX TOOLS are NOT the best. I
actually found the Sophos fix tools to be better in catching an infection.

Lockspam anti-spam software (www.polesoft.com) - doesnt cost anything and
works well

Ad-aware (www.lavasoftusa.com) - download the "free" personal edition

Spybot (www.safer-networking.org) - download free