[OM] Re: (OT) A Weighty Problem

Subject: [OM] Re: (OT) A Weighty Problem
From: Marc Lawrence <mlawrence@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 15:13:08 +1000
> John Wheeler [mailto:wheelej@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] wrote:
> He'd just added a 100-400 USM (with Image Stabliser) lens
> plus the extra battery grip to the 10D.
>
> Now, I've always guessed the weight of anything in comparison
> to that of the Lee Enfield .303 service rifle I carried
> through the six months of National Service in the early fifties.
> It was from memory about eleven pounds. This camera/lens/grip
> combination was considerably heavier!

The 10D body weighs 790g (1.74lbs). The BG-ED3 grip with two
batteries adds 380g (0.84lbs) to the weight of the body. The
100-400USM IS L lens weighs 1360g (3lbs). The total combined
weight is therefor 2530 grams (5.58lbs). Still hefty, but
not 11 pounds. However, according to this site:

http://www.rt66.com/~korteng/SmallArms/leenfld.htm

I think you're looking at about 8-9lbs for the Lee Enfield .303
which is closer to the specified 10D setup weight (I know next
to nothing about guns other than "Point away from face", so
I'll stand corrected or at least clarified :-)).

> But the strangest thing about this was that earlier in the
> day he'd hefted my OM-2 with 50/1.4 attached and exclaimed,
> "My, it's heavy, isn't it!".

It's probably like holding a lead weight - the weight to
size ratio gives a feeling of heaviness. My OM1 with 50/1.4
feels quite weighty, though the difference with some other
wonderbrick combinations is somewhat negligible.

Oh...I just a couple of weeks ago bought a 10D, but I'm yet
to but a Zuiko adapter.

Cheers
Marc
Sydney, Oz