[OM] Re: Event photography with digital vs film

Subject: [OM] Re: Event photography with digital vs film
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 07:00:49 -0700 (PDT)
> Good grief, 300 frames in 1.5 hours is a burn rate of 200
> frames per hour .

There were three factors that drove the high frame rates:

1. I had to photograph as many of the attenders as possible.
There were around 300 plus wives and husbands.

2. The third night had a function similar to a graduation
ceremony where there were about 60 people being individually
recongnized. There were three distinct moments per person
needing photographs.  The way things were timed, two of those
occured almost simultaneously requiring some quick flash
recycling (hence the balcony mounted studio flash) and some
quick compositions.  Had to turn autofocus off, since it slowed
down the process enough that I would have missed shots.

3. Shooting digital meant trying to get the exposure right "in
camera".  With print film you have enough exposure latitude to
take care of it later.  But with digital it's pretty apparant
when you've botched an exposure so you reshoot it right there.
Also, when shooting headshots I was able to see if the photo was
a no-go and reshot right away.  As a general rule I took two or
three photos and in-camera deleted all but one.

The OM-2S with OTF flash control was far more consistant than
this setup. For one thing, ISO 400 was a requirement that I
couldn't quite match.  For lack of a stop...

I agree with the assessment that the frame rates were a bit on
the high side.  I shot 2-3x more than I did with film, but part
of that was due to a larger than normal group of people to
photograph.  If I could have trusted the exposures more, I would
have knocked down the count a bit.

AG-Schnozz